Re: A suggestion

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:02:49PM +0530, Unni wrote:
> Thank you for all those replies.. I am really excited to read those.
>
> The latest problem I am experiencing is that I have a recently
> purchased Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop and I tried installing debian etch
> in it. Most of the drivers were not detected like display, audio,
> modem etc. I tried posting my problem in LQ but didnt get a result to
> solve my problem. But I saw Dell recomending ubuntu for the same
> machine. I tried it and with satisfacoty result. But, I think ubuntu
> doesnt provide necessary packages for development in its bacis CD.
> Even I cant use Xwindows programming in it. I have the full CD set of
> Etch. And I wanted it to work well.

Well Etch was released about a year ago, with a kernel probably 6 months
older than that.  A recent Dell (who is probably the company most eager
to use new components in their machines) is just not likely to be
supported.  Now if you were to grab the weekly build of Lenny (debian
testing) you would likely have a much easier time.

When the Etch+1/2 release happens (which is certainly a nifty new idea
for Debian) in maybe 6 months or whatever the plan is, with a newer
kernel, then all of a sudden there is a chance Etch would install on
your new Dell.

--
Len Sorensen