A suggestion

I have been using debian for the last 2 years. ( i was unaware of linux b4 that)
I installed debian etch in many machines with varying configurations. Most of the time I was only able to install the base system with no sound, poor resolution, no video etc. This was especially in laptops.
Recently I tried Ubuntu. Surprisingly to me, after installation the sound card, video card etc are detected automatically.
And more.. the appearence is much good compared to etch, i think.

Why the debian can be more interesting? More graphics, more drivers etc.
I think this can be done without a big effort ( correct me if  I am wrong). I suggest to make this change possible.

If this is not a good suggestion please discard it. I love to use debian and I wanted it to be more that Ubuntu.

Thank you for your time

Ravi Krishnan Unni