Re: A suggestion

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:20:00PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Roberto C. Sánchez]
>
> > Alternatively, since Debian is an all-volunteer project you can feel
> > free to volunteer to contribute the necessary changes.
>
> We definitely need more hands to work on the tasks in Debian, but this
> reply feels to me like a "do it yourself or shut up", and I believe
> such reply is uncalled for.

It was not meant that way at all.  It was meant as a "Please don't try
and be an armchair project manager.  Rather, jump in and start doing
things."  Debian is, as far as I have seen, the best working example of
a merticracy.  People lead by example.  They don't just yell out "I want
this" and wait for other people to do it.  They start doing and if it is
a good idea and catches the interest of others, they also jump in and
start doing.

> Automatic configuration, improved hardware detection, improved
> handling of laptops, faster installations, quicker boots, more
> hardware supported are all features being worked on, and Debian is
> better than ever on all these accounts.  Lenny will be the best Debian
> release ever, as Etch was before it.

I am in agreement.  It is worth noting that things are progressing in
this manner because of all of the work being done by people willing to
volunteer.

Regards,

-Roberto

--