Re: Practical solutions to: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On 24/02/08 at 20:41 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:03:01PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > If there are sets of usertags which are in common use by a reasonable
> > number of diverse packages, and are something that would normally be
> > put on the foopkg@packages.debian.org user (that is to say, make them
> > visible by default) then file a bug against bugs.debian.org askiing
> > for that tag to be made a real tag.
> >
> > That's the best way to standardize usertags which are currently not
> > bts-wide tags.
>
> Ack on the general principle.
>
> However, the need which was pointed out to seemed to me more than a tag:
> in my head it was distilled as "priority", as available in other bug
> tracking systems. This is something that can be encoded with usertags,
> but such an encoding does not have good properties such as mutual
> exclusion of alternative priorities.

For many users of other bug tracking systems such as bugzilla, the
meaning of priority vs severity is totally unclear. I don't think that
it would be a good idea to impose such a thing to all packages by
default.

As Don pointed, it is relatively easy to emulate priorities using
usertags and usercategories. Maybe the BTS could help by providing other
sorting orders by default (so viewing priorities would simply be a
matter of adding sort=priorities to pkgreport's URL), and/or by providing
more examples of custom sorts.