Re: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

Hi all,

On Do, 21 Feb 2008, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> I am barely keeping up with *new* bugreports and updating the packages, keeping them buildable, backporting fixes from upstream etc.

We from the Debian TeX Team have a very similar problem. There are about
300 bugs taken over from teTeX times into the TeX Live packages.

Our team consists of a few DD and few helpers, but of all I am currently
the only actually active one (and I myself am on permanent quasi VAC
till May).

I try to keep up with new bugs and fixing them, but there is NO way I
will *ever* find time to go through 300 bugs taken over from tetex.

I was (and am) tempted to do something similar, because I consider this
pile of dust^Wbugs just obscurring the important things. I consider
currently:
- severity = important -> fit for my time investment
- severity >= serious  -> trying to fix immediately
- severity <= normal   -> let them rod

That is the reality. Now and then I try to fix new bugs of sevrerity
normal or wishlist, but that's it.

The problem with most bugs are that submitters do not care at all to
- try to find a solution themselves
- read other bug reports
- use google
- read the policy
- think

Sounds harsh, but that is the reality, unfortunately.

Have a lot of fun, and when I am back from the mountains expect some bug
triaging from TeX Live packages ...

Best wishes

Norbert

BENBURB
The sort of man who becomes a returning officer.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff