Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

Le Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:32:07PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez a écrit :
> And another flame decission chance comes when you have to decide if an
> application should be under , e.g., Education/electronics or
> Technical/Electronics. As an example, where do you think qucs[1] should
> be placed? It's wonderfull to study at a deep level how solid state
> circuits work, but also wonderful for secondary school children to study
> and simulate digital and analogic circuits...

Hi all,

Some people use Debian to learn, and some other to work. I think that
the people who work do not expect their tools in the "Educational" menu,
even if their salary is payed by a university. My understanding of
"Educational" tools is programs whose sole purpose is to learn and
study, otherwise we should move OpenOffice in "Educational" in the
computers used for training people at the use of office software.

Then, the question wether some tools are scientifical or technical is in
my opinion unsolvable. I would favor a Science & Technique menu if this
is not tool long in terms of number of characters. Acutally, is is a bit
frustrating that the software developpers who wrote the standard have
given a menu entry to their own professional tools, "Development", while
other professions have not this facility (except for secretaries and
graphists). Maybe we simply need a "Pro" mode in the menus, that are
obviously very "Home"… but this makes us far from our original goal.

I have updated the wiki page http://wiki.debian.org/ExtraMenus with some
details from the standard and some parts of the current discussion. If
we want to keep things simple, and if mechanisms exist to automatically
create sub-menus using the "Additional" categories (see the wiki) when
there are too many entries, I would propose to keep things as simple as
possible and to promote 'Science & Technics' as a "Main" category.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian-Med packaging team