Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

El mar, 15-01-2008 a las 14:22 +0100, Andreas Tille escribió:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > Err, like you did already for games, as you said. I see in the
> > standard GNOME gnome-applications.menu.
> >
> > It appears that the Technical menu should include at least;
> > - Science
> > - Engineering
> > - Math
> > - HamRadio
> > - Electronics
>
> And here we have good chances for a flame because I as a user would
> not expect Science and Math under a main menu "Technical".  I'd rather
> see "Science" as a main menu entry and find "Math" below this.  I
> do not say that my point of view is correct but there is no "correct"
> location for the sections and it mainly depends from users view where
> he might search for certain topics.  That's my arguing for grouping
> users according to their views and care for them in sub projects
> were you are able to do reasonable guessings where a user would
> suspect certain applications.  This was one sense for the Debian-Med
> project because every user of this project will definitely enter
> the "Med" main menu and can easily proceed from there.  For these
> users the "Technical" menu section would be of low use.

And another flame decission chance comes when you have to decide if an
application should be under , e.g., Education/electronics or
Technical/Electronics. As an example, where do you think qucs[1] should
be placed? It's wonderfull to study at a deep level how solid state
circuits work, but also wonderful for secondary school children to study
and simulate digital and analogic circuits...

On the other hand, I want to point an undesirable behaviour out: if you
take a look at gnome-applications.menu or kde-applications.menu they
place the merged-directories entry at the beggining of the file, that
has a bad secondary effect: if you want to exclude a desktop file to
appear in a menu branch you can not, as it will be include by the rest
of the file. As example: if you create a Education/Electronic branch
using merged-directories you would like to put applications with
categories Education;Electronics there, but as merged-directories is
merged at the beggining, you waste your time if you try to exclude them
from the education branch, so that application will appear twice: at the
Education branch and at the Education/Electronics branch. That kind of
behaviour only can be avoided using dektop-profiles so the user can
choose what kind of profile he belongs to. So if a user is at the
teachers of students menus he can see qucs at Education/Electronics and
if he is in the, let's say, scientists group he can see it at
Technical/Electronics.

So, if the right profiles are installed in the system, with
apt-get install <application>
the user will see the application in a different branch depending of the
system groups he belongs.

Regards.
José L.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/qucs