Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:39:03AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 14 janvier 2008 à 21:25 +0000, Peter Clifton a écrit :
> > Since there are no other categories in the XDG spec which fit, this is
> > really why the problem occurs:
> >
> > "Every conforming desktop environment MUST support" (XDG menu-spec)
>
> At least for GNOME, I have nothing against adding new menus. We have
> already done that for games, and this could be done for other categories
> as well.

[...]
> I think the good solution is a new "technical" menu with optional
> submenus appearing when it becomes too large. If you can agree on the
> structure of this menu and make it fit as much as possible to existing
> XDG categories, it could be easily added.

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, with questions:

How many is too many? I understand that having many top-level menus with
a few entries each may be confusing, but grouping electronics, science
and hamradio applications on one menu is also rather odd.

Can submenus be made to appear automatically? I should study the
standards.

I opened #339305 requesting gnome-menus add a ham radio menu more than
two years ago and unfortunately the maintainer has not responded at all.

That still leaves KDE. I guess it has its own implementation of the
standard XDG menus somewhere. Is it better to have a single
implementation of these extra menus that could be recommended by
gnome-menus and (?)kdelibs-data?

Hamish