Re: Is menu orphaned? (Was: Debian Menu transition status)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:48:22 +0100 (CET), Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> said:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Bill Allombert wrote:
>> The menu entry format is not documented in the menu policy, so this
>> discard #447389.

> Well, you are right that policy should not _describe_ the menu format,
> but policy should definitely _mention_ that there are at least two
> formats and should give an _advise_ which to use.  I tend to reopen
> the bug (depending from the outcome of this discussion).

        No, policy does not offer advice, or do best practices
 recommendations.  That is generally the role of the developers
 reference.

>> Since menu-1 is not deprecated, #447390 is a wishlist.

> If menu-1 is not deprecated then lintian should only issue an info.

        That seems fair.

>> Because this make functions definitions in menu-methods much more
>> readable.  menu-2 is used in menu-methods for 8 years or so.  menu
>> entry files are much simpler. However some people do not like the
>> fact that line break are significant.

> So don't you think that this fact should be written down anywhere?  I
> can not cope with statements "have no feeling about using menu-2".  If
> we want a consistent menu system we should give maintainers clear
> guidelines.

        While I think this probably should be discussed, resolved, and a
 guideline created, I do not think policy is the place in which this
 sort of activity takes place.  Policy is happy to let multiple
 variati9ons compete, and let darwinian selection determine the winner.
 Then policy will happily ratify the solution the developers have
 chosen.

>  1. I want to be menu-2 dead if menu-1 obviousely is not.
>  2. I want to have one single menu format if there is no strong reason
>     to support more than one (feelings are no reasons).
>  3. I want dh_make to generate files of the _suggested_ format.  (Your
>     announcement sounded kind of a suggestion for menu-2 and thus I
>     felt my bug report would be reasonable.)
>  4. I want lintian report (just report, not as an error) that
>     something else than the suggested format is used.

        I do not think it is the role of policy, or the policy checking
 tool, lintian, to offer opinions; perhaps you meant the developers
 reference?

        manoj
--
Not intimate with laity or monks, wandering about with no abode, and few
needs - that is what I call a brahmin. 404