Re: Is menu orphaned?

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:08:52 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> This seems to be the real point of disagreement.  Currently there
> isn't any recommended format; people can use whichever one they
> choose.  I think that's the core of what you're disagreeing with.

> Personally, that doesn't bother me, but if you build a consensus
> around the idea that there should only be one format, I'm happy to go
> along with that consensus.

        When there is consensus, and the practice follows the consensus,
 then we write it into policy.  Just a bunch of us munchkins agreeing on
 a mailing list somewhere (consensus) is not, in my opinion, enough:
 existing practice must shift.   There are exceptions to this policy
 change rule, but I have not, sofar, seen any compelling arguments to
 warrant departing from the "policy defines existing standard behaviour"
 rule so far.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.  Second
marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.