Re: xinetd is a viable inet-superserver

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 01:16:04AM +0000, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:34:47PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   [0] the reasoning is: this is clear to me that through update-inetd
> >       that is the debian way to enable inet-like services, something
> >       that claims to be an inet-superserver must react on update-inetd
> >       triggered changes.  update-inetd atm only acts on /etc/inetd.conf,
> >       so as a consequences I believe it's necessary for an
> >       inet-superserver provider to grok /etc/inetd.conf.
> This is at odds with many years of discussion on this mailing list, where
> the consensus was that xinetd should have its own update-inetd that supports
> the xinetd config format natively.

  Well, as a recent adopter of xinetd (which gives me some kind of tiny
voice in the discussion) I believe that here is what should be done, and
can be done with the _less_ hassle:

  packages that use update-inetd _could_ provide an
/etc/xinetd.d/<service> or have a default one generated by update-inetd
if none provided.  And then update-inetd would search for services in
/etc/inetd.conf _and_ in every /etc/xinetd.d/<files>. This would for
example allow bitlbee to listen on localhost by default if used with
xinetd (which you cannot tell in /etc/inetd.conf afaik and is the main
reason why I use xinetd in the first place ;p).

  Though, I hate perl, like in despise and pukes the language, and
despite my (timid) tries, I've not been able to come up with anything
workable yet.

  I believe we should do that, because this way you can change your
inetd and still have _some_ workeable configuration (with some drawbacks
when you used to use xinetd with extensions and fallback to a stock
inetd of course).

  With this approach, -inetd_compat can be disabled indeed. Until that
point, that's the easiest way, and I believe it's a satisfying enough
middle ground for now. And again, anyone that has enough perl skills can
mail me in private so that we can sort this out.
·O·  Pierre Habouzit