Re: Considerations for GTK1 removal from Debian

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:52:45 +0100
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> > Just because I had nothing to do, I generated a list on the wiki on
> > all packages that depends on gtk+ 1.2; see:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/GTK+_1%2e2_leftovers

OK, a few stats from that page (which I've updated to show which are
orphaned etc.).

341 packages are listed.

Of those:
16 are Gtk libraries.
51 mention xmms in the package title
44 are already orphaned
7 are RFA
5 have already been removed
6 are RC buggy

274 are neither gtk libraries nor related to xmms.

231 of those are not orphaned.

:-(

If those figures are correct, it looks like GTK1 will be with us for
quite some time yet.

After a little more trimming of libraries, packages that are just
dependencies of other packages in the list, I get 192 unorphaned
packages dependent on gtk1 that are unrelated to xmms:

alsaplayer-gtk
amaterus
amoeba
aria
array-util
atokx
avscan
ayttm
baycomepp
baycomusb
bitchx-gtk
cccd
chameleon
chbg
cheops
cheops-ng
cinepaint
codebreaker
corewars
coriander
crank
cronosii
crossfire-client-gtk
cupsys-pt
dbmix
dfm
digitaldj
dillo
directory-administrator
e16keyedit
e16menuedit
endeavour2
evms-gui
extace
fvwm
fvwm-gnome
gabber
gaby
gacc
gato
gbase
gbib
gbuffy
gcrontab
gcvs
gcx
gdancer
geg
gentoo
gfontview
gfontview
gfpoken
gfslicer
ghfaxviewer
gkrellmms
glotski
gman
gmanedit
gmoo
gnome-bin
gnome-chess
gnome-lokkit
gnomp3
gocr-gtk
gpgp
gphotocoll
gpppon
gps
gpsim-led
gpsim-logic
gqcam
gradio
grpn
gsnes9x
gtalk
gtans
gtimer
gtkfontsel
gtkglarea5
gtkgo
gtkguitune
gtkpool
gtk-theme-switch
gtoaster
gwave
hf
i2e
ickle
imms
iodbc
jags
jnethack
jscalibrator
kadu-external-modules
karamba
karpski
kmd
lazarus
ledcontrol-gtk
lm-batmon
lmemory
lopster
mah-jong
manedit
manedit
mathwar
mbrowse
modemp3d
mountapp
mozart-gtk
mp
mp3info-gtk
mplayer-586
mtrack
multi-gnome-terminal
nethack-gnome
paul
perspic
pilrcui
pimppa
pinentry-gtk
pixelize
powershell
powertweak-gtk
predict-gsat
procmeter3
psemu-input-padjoy
psemu-sound-oss
psemu-video-x11
pterm
putty
qiv
quicklist
ripperx
screentest
sgcontrol
shaketracker
shermans-aquarium
sjog
snac
snowflake
soundmodem
soundtracker
spacechart
sqlrelay-config-gtk
sulu
sun-j2re1.5
sun-j2sdk1.6
swami
sylpheed-claws
sylpheed-claws-clamav
sylpheed-claws-dillo-viewer
sylpheed-claws-ghostscript-viewer
sylpheed-claws-image-viewer
sylpheed-claws-maildir-plugin
sylpheed-claws-pgpinline-plugin
sylpheed-claws-spamassassin
sylpheed-claws-trayicon
sylpheed-gtk1
telegnome
terraform
unicorn
vertex
wallp
wmbubble
wmcliphist
wmclockmon
wmfishtime
wmmaiload
wmressel
wmusic
worlded
xarchon
xbindkeys-config
xdialog
xemacs21-gnome-mule
xemacs21-gnome-mule-canna-wnn
xemacs21-gnome-nomule
xlc
xlogmaster
xmedcon
xnecview
xoscope
xpuyopuyo
xscorch
xsu
xt
xwhois
xwine
xzgv
ygraph
zangband

I must say, that is a LOT more than I expected. I may have included
some that could still be trimmed as dependencies etc., but that would
still leave well over 180 packages that have no apparent reason to be
removed.

What also surprised me is that when viewing each PTS page for each of
those packages, quite a few had had recent uploads yet to migrate into
testing - i.e. within the last 10 days.

Contrary to my own preconceptions, I'd say that the idea of removing
Gtk1 is dead-in-the-water.
:-(

--

Neil Williams