Recommending -dbg packages

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Hmm.  I would argue that gnome shouldn't recommend gnome-dbg either,
> > according to policy.
>
>  I'm disturbed by this too, but -- as I clarified on IRC -- I think
>  there's a conflict of interests between getting more meaningful
>  backtraces in average (and hence improving the quality of Debian before
>  the release / saving ourself a message to bug submitters) and
>  testing/sid users as first class users and hence respecting policy
>  during the full release cycle.  (My understanding is that the -dbg
>  recommend would have been dropped before the release.)

Well, IMHO if that information is really being useful (gather some data for
a while to make sure of it), then it is certainly something we can tolerate
in unstable and testing.  Produce some hard data, and we can even get it
into policy to explicitly allow for such, when there is an automated
crash-dump tool involved that sees heavy use by the users.

But I'd strongly suggest sending an email to debian-user and
debian-devel-announce explaining what is happening in quick, concise and
simple terms, so that we get less people being surprised by the massive -dbg
recommendation.  You probably want to copy debian-weekly-news, lwn.net and
maybe some other new sites that Debian unstable/testing users like on that
email, too.

  Henrique Holschuh