Re: Non-security updates between stable releases?

Why don't you want to use testing, again?

Well, it doesn't have security updates (well, testing security team is supposed to exist, but it seems somewhat dormant as of late).  I may give it a try, though - I'm not running a server so it shouldn't be too bad.

Backporting isn't always automatic, packages change with time.  Right
now, it is probably not so bad, a simple "apt-get build-dep foo; apt-get
-b source foo" might work because etch has not been released a long time
ago.  But as lenny grows near, more and more packages will need manual
backporting.

It wasn't that easy in the cases I was talking about - I had to backport additional packages from unstable to backport what I wanted in the first place.  This (auto-backporting all build-deps that stable doesn't have (and their build-deps if necessary), installing the other build-deps from stable, and then building from source and installing the result) is what I was talking about implementing/investigating, not changing "apt-get build-dep foo; apt-get -b source foo; dpkg -i foo*" into one command.

Regarding apt-pinning, I didn't use it because ultimately half my system would then be updated to testing/unstable (including things like glibc), going by what apt was saying when I tried it.  In that case, why not run testing/unstable (which I may do anyway - though I may go with an Ubuntu Feisty install and a testing/unstable chroot environment).