Re: Non-security updates between stable releases?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:28:48 +0200, Marc Haber
<mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> said:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:34:27 -0500, Manoj Srivastava
>> srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>> And I am not sure where this part comes from.  I've been running
>> unstable on all my end user systems for 11 years now.  I would say
>> the local policy f whether or not to use unstablke on an end user
>> system depends on the end user.

> If an administrator as skilled as you is available,

        Well, while I have been pottering around on computers for about
 25 years now, I have never formally been a sysadmin (though I do
 maintain machines for myself and sometimes my group at my place of
 employment).  I would hesitate to characterize myself as a skilled sys
 admin.

> running unstable on production systems is fine (I don't dare doing so,
> but that's a matter of varying milieage). The necessary administrator
> skills are probably available for like 0.001 % of our installations.

        Would you consider the possibility that you might be
 underestimating the skill level of a significant segment of our user
 base?  I would think that Debian is the domain of skilled users; and
 that the novices are mostly fled to fedora/ubuntu/xandros/linspire.

        I am not advocating being hostile to novice users; I am saying
 that we should not cater solely to that segment of our user base;
 especially at the expense experienced users who have been long using
 Debian as the basis of productive work.

        manoj
--
THEGODDESSOFTHENETHASTWISTINGFINGERSANDHERVOICEISLIKEAJAVELININTHENIGHTDUDE