Re: Non-security updates between stable releases?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:20:02 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> said:

>> Would you consider the possibility that you might be underestimating
>> the skill level of a significant segment of our user base?  I would
>> think that Debian is the domain of skilled users; and that the
>> novices are mostly fled to fedora/ubuntu/xandros/linspire.

> In my opinion exactly this should be a goal for Debian: become the
> favourite distribution for the not so skilled users. A lot of things
> are much better and more easy to handle than in other distributions
> (yes, including Ubuntu) - for example a _working_ upgrade
> path. Installing Debian is pretty easy these days and KDE/Gnome
> provide a lot of features which make sure that the not-so-skilled user
> will have a good experience, so it should be possible to become the
> favourite distribution of all people.

        If that is an itch you feel like scratching, go right ahead. It
 is not something I feel a particular need to do. As long as you do not
 destroy the experience for skilled users, I have absolutely no
 objection (I do object to dumbing down the OS to cater to people who
 get confused when they see "options").

        manoj
--
Status quo: The mess we're in. Kelvin Throop III, "The Management
Dictionary"