Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

#include <hallo.h>
* Florent Rougon [Thu, Jul 26 2007, 02:55:16PM]:

> [...]
>
> > Note that AFAIK, completion never disappeared from the file open dialogs.
> > You just have to enable it with a keystroke.
>
> I know that; the shortcut is Ctrl-L. But I wrote "usable completion"
> because even after hitting Ctrl-L, the kind of completion you get is
> *much* less efficient than that you got for free in the good old days of
> GTK+ 1.2. IOW, there is no usable completion in GNOME's current File
> Open/Save dialogs (neither in Qt, for that matter :-/).
>
> > Even if not, it is a problem with gimp if it refuses to set menu shortcuts
> > if you change gtk-can-change-accels in your config.
>
> OK, it's not GNOME. But I had the impression that the original feature,
> which was accessible out-of-the-box, was removed/made inaccessible
> *because* of GNOME's concerns about "usability". That is why I brought
> this point here.

This my impression as well, the idioticy of the current file-open dialog
behaviour perfectly matches the GNOME "development". And the performance
is still flawed, the dialog (here: Iceweasel) keeps reading data of each
and every file when doing completion. For what? It has never to display
the type and icon, I wanna enter this filename manually.

I wonder what the people are smoking anyway. Few years ago, performance
of kfm in KDE 1.x sucked because it tried to read every file. Looks like
GNOME people urge to repeat their mistakes.

Eduard.
--
<Getty> Ich find die Domain auch scheisse, aber nem geschenkten Gaul schaut man
	nicht ins Maul oder wie war das?