Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 01:13:13PM +0200, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
>
> >> Witness:
> >>   - usable completion in the File Open dialog   -> gone
> >>   - customizable keyboard shortcuts in apps[1]  -> gone
> >
> > Both are due to gtk, not gnome.
>
> From my limited end-user POV (a user who used to like GTK+ and GNOME in
> the old days), I had the impression that it is the GNOME project that
> influenced the GTK+ team in this way. Do you think this is wrong?

There might be influence, but not every change in gtk is due to gnome.
Note that AFAIK, completion never disappeared from the file open dialogs.
You just have to enable it with a keystroke.

> >>   [1] No, don't tell me that it is a simple matter of adding
> >>       "gtk-can-change-accels=1" to ~/.gtkrc-2.0. This simply *does*
> >>       *not* *work*. For instance, even with this, you have to go hunt
> >>       for the specific option in Gimp's Preferences menu before you can
> >>       at last add your own keyboard shortcuts. Ugh.
> >
> > Gimp is not a gnome application.
>
> Hmmm. If GTK+ decisions are not influenced by the GNOME project, fair
> enough. But I doubt this is the case...

Even if not, it is a problem with gimp if it refuses to set menu shortcuts
if you change gtk-can-change-accels in your config.

Mike