  From: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
  To: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
  Cc: 186085@bugs.debian.org, debian-cd@lists.debian.org
  Subject: Re: Any chance to get Debian-Med added to tasksel? (fwd)
  Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:50:03 -0400

  There is also the concern that what's in tasksel's tasks can impact what
  goes onto the first CD, ...

... if those words are said by God (see Q3 of tasksel FAQ) I regard
    the remainder of the quote

  although it doesn't have to, and I don't always
  keep this at the top of my mind when adding new stuff to tasksel tasks.

... as weak enough to draw the conclusion, that tasksel has an "install
    from one CD medium" philosophy.

apt even supports using
debconf to prompt for a CD change. d-i does not currently support
scanning more than one CD; patches would be appreciated, but you should
probably familiarise yourself with the current code before making even
more incorrect comments about it;

What I wanted to say is that not everything that is in each single
CDD should/can be on the first CD and perhaps it even can not be
on the first DVD.  In fact from a user point of view I would really
hate it if I should change media in the first install step and thus
I'm a believer in the words of tasksel-God - at least regarding the
point where you told me that I missinterpreted him which sounds
perfectly normal in any religion.

So if we would be able to find a way to "advertise what we have"
via tasksel, I would think about a way how CDDs could find a reasonable
solution to put the main things of each CDD on the first install
medium (I continue to like the idea of one medium because I think
a DVD has enough room for "a main entry point for each CDD" which
a CD probably has not.  If we do not regard this advertising feature
of tasksel important enough to find a solution (on the default
install medium - I know about the preseeding feature for
separate install media) than I have to accept this.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de