Re: TaskSel proposal (Was: Proposal for a new CDD sub-project: Debian4Business)

Frans Pop wrote:
> It should be possibly to define tasks for CDDs and have them included in
> tasksel, but I do not think they will ever be displayed by default in the
> regular tasksel or for regular installations. After all, we are talking
> about custom debian _distributions_.

I won't say "never". After all, tasksel has included tasks for CDDs
before.

However, customised installation media for CDDs seems to make more sense
in general, and tasksel already has support for that, as you noted.

> The next question is if these tasks should be defined on the mirrors as
> well, or only in the tasksel-data package (or maybe even in separate
> tasksel-<cdd>-data packages).

Separate packages seem better to me from a maintenance POV. Having
tasksel's own tasks defined in the Packages files that only the
ftpmasters can sync up is already annoying enough..

> Maybe an option would be to have a internal, preseedable template
> "tasksel/context" that could be set to "Debian", "Debian edu", "<other
> CDD>" and that would determine which tasks are displayed. This template
> could then be preseeded as part of the CD building process, which would
> also ensure the correct set of tasks is included on the CDs in the
> preferred order of the CDD.

Setting preseed/early_command to apt-install cdd-tasks would work just
as well, no?

> This could even be an "higher level" alternative to what Joey has just
> implemented in the latest tasksel release to support the different
> desktop environments by defining "Debian Gnome", "Debian KDE" and "Debian
> Xfce" as contexts.

Probably not, because we may also want to add different subtasks in etch
for some other task.

--
see shy jo