Re: TaskSel proposal (Was: Proposal for a new CDD sub-project: Debian4Business)

On Thursday 19 April 2007 16:46, Luis Matos wrote:
> Also, can we arrange some kind of cdds-pre-selection in d-i?
>
> One page fter tasksel that would have the cdds listed, or previously.
> Or at least an yes/no question, do you want to install any CDD?

Note that I'm just thinking out load here. For a real discussion you will
have to talk to the tasksel maintainer.

It should be possibly to define tasks for CDDs and have them included in
tasksel, but I do not think they will ever be displayed by default in the
regular tasksel or for regular installations. After all, we are talking
about custom debian _distributions_.

The next question is if these tasks should be defined on the mirrors as
well, or only in the tasksel-data package (or maybe even in separate
tasksel-<cdd>-data packages).

Maybe an option would be to have a internal, preseedable template
"tasksel/context" that could be set to "Debian", "Debian edu", "<other
CDD>" and that would determine which tasks are displayed. This template
could then be preseeded as part of the CD building process, which would
also ensure the correct set of tasks is included on the CDs in the
preferred order of the CDD.

This could even be an "higher level" alternative to what Joey has just
implemented in the latest tasksel release to support the different
desktop environments by defining "Debian Gnome", "Debian KDE" and "Debian
Xfce" as contexts.