Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 11:11:32PM +0200, Luigi Gangitano wrote:

> 1. Some ethernet cards like Sun QuadFE share the same MAC address
> (even if global OpenFirmware option is set to different MAC-address)
> and PCI id and udev blocks while renaming them, leaving with an
> unusable systema each time the system boots.

> 2. XEN domUs without fixed mac address setting (configurable in
> virtual domain configuration file), can have a different MAC address
> each time are booted and udev will keep adding a new interface each
> time.

These both sound like the udev rules need to be improved rather than a
fundamental problem.

> BTW, there's no easy way to recover from a badly renamed ethernet
> interface. Once you have something like 'eth5_rename' how are you
> supposed to recover?

With ifrename or some other utility that exposes the relevant kernel
API.  Device renaming isn't a new backdoor added for udev - the facility
has been provided by the kernel for some time.