Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 01:41:26PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:54:45PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> > You only need to delete /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent*.rules before udev
> > runs. That should be doable and could be a configuration option. The default
> > should stay as-is.

> It should certainly be prominently documented.  a debconf question priority
> high or above would probably be useful.

The use cases where users are likely to notice are relatively limited -
you need to either be trying to do some sort of system imaging or doing
hardware replacement where you need to do a like for like swap.  The
latter case tends to be something of an emergency and can easily be
adderssed with console acess.

> But I still don't think that the default should be to enable this.

It does solve a real problem that crops up even without fancy hardware.
Given the direction that the kernel is going it's likely to crop up more
and more - for example, there has already been some development work on
running the PCI probing process much more concurrent which creates the
sort of race conditions that persistent names fix much more readily.
The whole idea of a reliable enumeration ordering from the kernel is
under pressure from a variety of sources.

> And you're not completely correct; you also have to delete the z45
> generator or else the z25 file will come back.

Depends what you want to do - if you want to be able to install an image
on a new box then deleting the existing static mappings is enough.  You
only need to delete the generator rules if you want to never have static
rules.