Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> I have spent the past few days trying to figure out why some of our
> machines seem to have ethernet interface numbers that jump around --
> eth0 one day, then eth4 or eth5 another.

> The culprit comes down to udev.  I've filed a bug #416284 against it for
> this.

There's actually some stuff in udev or some related package to deal with
this, but I can't ever seem to find it when I need it.  I think this is
actually a documentation bug more than a functionality bug; we just need a
better guide on how to do it.  You can, somehow, assign persistant device
name mappings by MAC address.

One of the problems is that whenever you look for something about how to
fix this, you end up with ifrename, which in my experience doesn't work
well with udev.