Re: x86 buildd for experimental ?

Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> Actually, sbuild uses plain apt-get and apt-cache to handle build deps
>> these days; so if apt can handle a dependency, then so can sbuild.
>>
>> The problem really is the fact that experimental has 'NoAuto: yes' (or
>> what is it again) set in its Release file, so unless you explicitly
>> specify that you want to download and install from experimental, that's
>> not going to happen.
>
>  It's not a problem of "NoAuto: yes": as you note yourself, there's no
>  way with plain APT to pull from a repository only when it's required.
>
>  You could argue that APT lacks the feature, but I think we need some
>  higher level program to force APT into installing the correct versions
>  (just like pbuilder-satisfydepends-experimental does for example).
>
> --
> Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>

I think that is a shortcomming of apt though.

apt-get install foo=1.2-3

will fetch foo 1.2-3 from whatever repository that has that
version. But with

Package: foo
Version: 1.2-3
Depends: bar (= 1.2-3)

apt-get will NOT fetch bar 1.2-3 unless it happens to have the highest
pin and highest version by chance.

I think 'apt-get install' should, at least optionally, override the
pin/version restrictions to fullfill dependencies.

MfG
        Goswin