Re: x86 buildd for experimental ?

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 09:20:19AM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > I would assume 10 days is enough to "automatically" build all that
> > is in experimental...
>
>  Some packages can not be autobuilt due to complex dependencies across
>  unstable and experimental.  AFAIK, sbuild is not designed to work from
>  multiple APT sources, so even if the build-deps and build-conflicts
>  would he satisfiable by a human or aptitude, sbuild does not handle all
>  cases.

Actually, sbuild uses plain apt-get and apt-cache to handle build deps
these days; so if apt can handle a dependency, then so can sbuild.

The problem really is the fact that experimental has 'NoAuto: yes' (or
what is it again) set in its Release file, so unless you explicitly
specify that you want to download and install from experimental, that's
not going to happen.

It _would_ theoretically be possible to automagically build stuff
against versions of libraries in experimental by specifying '-t
experimental' on the apt-get command line; however, as this would
unwantedly pull in packages from experimental if one is available there
(even if the build-deps allow building against versions from unstable),
this is not currently done.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22