Re: localisation in system wide daemons

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:01:25 +0900, Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>> The etymology of the word is not english: (Hindu + stan). When
>> incorporating it into English, the word came with a well defined
>> meaning.

> Apparently the english authors who used it didn't realize that, and
> I assume their usage reflects the general usage at the time they
> were writing.  Anyway, for whatever reason, the given usage was
> present, and reasonably common, _in english_ at one time.  The
> dictionary documents that, as is their job.

        I think we have some reading comprehension issues here. Let me
 try one more time.  The usage you speak of is:
   i) Old
  ii) Non PC
 iii) An over generalization

        If the dictionary is still perpetuating that definition, it is
 falling into a pattern of disseminating information that is:
   i) Old
  ii) Non PC
 iii) An over generalization

        HTH. HAND,

        manoj
--
strategy, n.: A comprehensive plan of inaction.