Re: localisation in system wide daemons

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:21:47 +0900, Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>> Merriam-Webster is falling into the old non-PC over-generalization
>> that all inhabitants of India are Hindus.

> "Merriam-Webster" isn't falling into anything, it's a dictionary,
> and dictionaries describe usage.

        I hate to break it to you (and I do sincerely apologize for
 spoiling your innocence), but lexicons are not handed down to mankind
 on tablets writ in stone as some kind of divine donation.

        Dictionaries, and, gasp, encyclopedias, have been known to
 have factual errors, and being written by humans, can actually have
 old non-PC over-generalizations due to the biases of the editors
 writing the darned book.

        Seeing that I do not believe in the divinity or the
 infallibility of dictionaries, I stand by my statement: considering
 that the etymology of the word is from Hindi, I consider myself has
 someone with a modicum if knowledge on the subject.

        manoj
--
The heart is wiser than the intellect.