Re: Icons and instructions for the FreeDesktop menu.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:29:48 +0900, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> said:

> Le Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 06:04:09AM -0700, Bruce Sass a écrit :
>>
>> I also agree that automatic down-converting would be good, but
>> think that automatic generation of menus from pieces at package
>> install time would be better. Iow, build a <prg>.menu.common for
>> every interactive program and use
>> <prg>.menu.[freedesktop|kde|gnome|some-de] for Desktop Environment
>> specific bits, then require the menu producers be able to construct
>> a menu entry from the pieces via infrastructure provided routines.

> As the .desktop format becomes a de facto standard, we are more and
> more in a situation where the .menu files have to be written from a
> .desktop file. In a system where the .desktop files used in Debian
> would be generated from the Debian .menu file, this would lead to a
> double conversion.

        It is only a de-facto standard as long as you consider bloated
 software that not all of us are running.  All the world is not made
 in your image.

> If persons are willing to work on improving the Debian menu system,
> I would rather advocate using the .desktop format as a native
> configuration file. This way we could take advantage of existing
> information, and also contribute back our work to the the upstream
> developpers when a menu entry is created from scratch for Debian.

        Not all window managers support .desktop. Are you volunteering
 to hack on them to make them support .desktop natively?

        manoj
--
The CS Sage says: Seek new employment prior to the imposition of
performance penalties on your project.