Re: Icons and instructions for the FreeDesktop menu.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:29:48 +0900, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> said:

> Le Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 06:04:09AM -0700, Bruce Sass a écrit :
>> I also agree that automatic down-converting would be good, but
>> think that automatic generation of menus from pieces at package
>> install time would be better. Iow, build a <prg>.menu.common for
>> every interactive program and use
>> <prg>.menu.[freedesktop|kde|gnome|some-de] for Desktop Environment
>> specific bits, then require the menu producers be able to construct
>> a menu entry from the pieces via infrastructure provided routines.

> As the .desktop format becomes a de facto standard, we are more and
> more in a situation where the .menu files have to be written from a
> .desktop file. In a system where the .desktop files used in Debian
> would be generated from the Debian .menu file, this would lead to a
> double conversion.

        It is only a de-facto standard as long as you consider bloated
 software that not all of us are running.  All the world is not made
 in your image.

> If persons are willing to work on improving the Debian menu system,
> I would rather advocate using the .desktop format as a native
> configuration file. This way we could take advantage of existing
> information, and also contribute back our work to the the upstream
> developpers when a menu entry is created from scratch for Debian.

        Not all window managers support .desktop. Are you volunteering
 to hack on them to make them support .desktop natively?

The CS Sage says: Seek new employment prior to the imposition of
performance penalties on your project.