Re: Etch Software RAID Upgrade Trouble & Suggested Installer Improvements

On Sunday 07 January 2007 22:15, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> also sprach Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> [2007.01.07.0456
+0100]:
> > Well, at the least it should scan for partitions marked as a RAID
> > and prompt the user whether or not to start the set.
>
> Other than the partition type, there's no way to do this, and
> setting the partition type is not always desirable.

It's not always possible on other architectures.  What do you do on a platform
that supports the BSD disk label and has no type number?

Are there any platforms other than i386, AMD64, and IA64 that support the
partition type number?

> Anyway, check out /usr/share/mdadm/startall, which I hope to migrate
> to the udeb after etch. Then you can just call the script and have
> all arrays assembled.

It would be nice if we had this in busybox.  Not only would it be good for the
situation we are discussing, but it would also allow reducing the size of the
initramfs on a system that has root on a RAID-1.

Is there any technical reason why busybox could not have such functionality?
If not I'll file a bug report (and I'll write the code if I ever have spare
time).

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog