Re: Problem with debsums and linux-modules-* packages

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 19:45:17 -0800, sean finney <seanius@debian.org> said:

> hi jacques, i'm surprised no one else has replied to this yet, so
> i'll throw in my $0.02 here.

> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 18:12 -0600, Jacques Normand wrote:
>> I am not sure what to do about that. The module packages carry a
>> md5sum for the map and dep files which are updated by depmod so
>> when you run debsums you get a serie of mismatch. This is a problem
>> with tools like

>> Now, the question is whether it should be a bug against debsums,
>> the linux-modules-* or more probably kernel-package.

> i'd say it's a bug that should be reported against kernel-package,

        And I say you are wrong about that.

        kernel-package takes great care not to include modules.dep
 amongst the files included in the reported md5sums.

> and maybe cloned to the relevant linux-modules packages for the sake
> of documenting it.  really i don't see any reason why the packages
> in question should ship the files at all, if they're going to be
> updated as part of the package installation/configuration.

        There have been problems reported in the past when the module
 dependencies were not generated at install time, or did not get into
 the init ram disk correctly -- so they are shipped in a defensive
 programming measure. Since we do not ship the md5sum of these files,
 this is not a problem.

        manoj
--
Be sure to evaluate the bird-hand/bush ratio.