Re: XS-X-Vcs-XXX field not (yet) announced

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:33:18 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> said:

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 04:21:21AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> I commit changes to a local repo behind a couple of firewalls that
>> do not accept external connections.

> That settles this. If your repo does not accept external
> connections, your users have no point in knowing it exists.

        No, all this settles is that it shows that you have a
 centralized VCS bent of mind, and do not understand the paradigm of
 distributed version control.

        People have helped me with devotee in collaborative
 development; none of us had write access to the others repo. It is
 just not needed.

        Even in collaborative development, no one ever needs to commit
 to the repo belonging to another person (look at darcs -- doing so
 would be, err, hard).

        The idea is that you branch off my public mirror, hack, and
 tell me to pull off your branch -- and any number of us can do that.

        As an example of how such merges work, look at
 http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/ikiwiki.png

        manoj
--
... Linux und seine Programme sind damit so etwas wie ein real
existierender Sozialismus der besseren Art...-- Christian Seel in der