XS-X-Vcs-XXX field not (yet) announced

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:17:56AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> This is an *excellent* idea, but a terrible way of introducing it.  Why
> was it posted only on a blog, and not to -- at least -- debian-devel?
>
> I'm growing increasingly annoyed with things that are announced only on
> blogs and not on the Debian developer mailing lists.  (I know it wasn't
> you, but this is a general comment.)

Please yell at me, I'm the responsible for that :-)

As a general answer: posting to blogs is usually faster than the
"proper" way to do things (in this case whishlist bug report + patch for
the developers reference), that's why it is usually preferred. Of course
this is ok only if followed by the "proper" way.

As an answer specific for this case. The field is still an X- field,
because I actually don't know how and if it should be standardized. I
posted to a blog also to see if people like it and to see how many
people will start using it now that is supported in the PTS, albeit
being an X- field. As a first sight it seems people like it, since
several guys asked me info about it.

The "proper" way of documenting it, patching the developers reference is
on my TODO list.

Feel free to help in any way you want, writing a Wiki page for example,
or being faster than me in submitting the whishlist bug report against
the developer reference :-)

Cheers.