Re: XS-X-Vcs-XXX field not (yet) announced

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:43:37 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:21:22PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
>> I would also like to raise a question: does it make any sense to be
>> able to list two URLs, one for the Debian branch and one for the
>> upstream branch?

> I've thought about similar issues. I made up my mind about these
> questions being in the wrong direction :)

> My idea for this field it to give a pointer intended for human
> consumption. Once a user knows where to look, if he is willing to
> have access to the repo he is probably able to discover branches,
> tags, learn the repo layout and so on. If we agree on this idea I
> would answer no, it doesn't make sense to me.

> Alternatively we can try to fully encode in the field(s) all the
> semantic information that might be needed to perform several tasks:
> automatic downloading of the appropriate branch matching a given
> debian release, spotting the tags matching given versions,
> whatever. I really think this is a dangerous slope, we will probably
> be swamped in the details of the VCS we consider.

> XS-Vcs-XXX was in my mind a one-size-does-fit-all solution, assuming
> the target of the information is a human. YMMV.

        Seems to me that this is fit for centralized single branch
 repositories only -- at least, I fail to see how I can represent my
 mlti-branch (no yet multi-repository) configs that need at least 3
 different branches from three different categories to pull together
 my Debian packages.

        If this is a SVN only thing, then  you could get awau with
 calling ti XS-SVN field.

        manoj
--
The truth about a man lies first and foremost in what he hides. Andre
Malraux