Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas? Debian official "update sub-release"

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:26:22AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
[volatile and backports]
> As it is, it is unclear to me who is building those packages, of what
> quality they are, and what kind of security support they are receiving.

Volatile was set up by Andreas Barth, and is maintained by Andreas and
Martin Zobel-Helas. Both are Debian Developers; in fact, since the time
that Joey left the job open, both have now become our Stable Release
Managers.

Software for volatile is autobuilt on the same 'unofficial' buildd setup
as the one for experimental. I call it 'unofficial' because it's not
hosted on any debian.org machine, but the reality is that the people
maintaining these machines have to adhere to the same standards as the
ones maintaining the official network (i.e., they're all DDs).

Backports was set up by Norbert Tretkowski. The published policy is that
only packages that have made it into testing will be allowed on
backports.org; and people with a keyring in the Debian keyring can
upload packages there -- nobody else.

Builds for backports are done by the same unofficial setup as the one
for volatile and experimental, though at least m68k is not autobuilt for
backports (since I (a) don't have the hardware, and (b) don't have the
time to maintain yet another buildd host. Interested people are welcome
to volunteer, provided they're DDs).

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22