Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On 8/28/06, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky <tuharsky@misbb.sk> wrote:
We're speaking about distributions that are intended for daily use, not
for experiments. To make it clear, Debian 3.1 Sarge and Ubuntu 6.06. If
the Etch has it, that's great. However that dosen't matter answering the
"Debian is at least as good as Ubuntu, just needs more advertising".
Would You advertise Etch? It is clearly advertised for Etch, that it is
in TESTING state. Would You recommend it everyone for daily usage? I
hope You'ld not.

Hmm, to me this sounds like this is just another way of saying that
Debian doesn't release fast enough. The fact is, sarge has been
released, whatever your complaining about is never going to be fixed
in sarge, so yes, you need to be comparing with Etch.

If you can say that there are problems with Etch, then we can address
those. complaining about Sarge is not terribly useful.

And yes, lots of people are running etch for daily usage. I don't
recommend anything to anyone, I just use what works...

A little paraphrase: "stable" means, that feature bugs are kept for the
whole release circle; don't expect them to get fixed."

Well, ofcourse. Otherwise it wouldn't be stable... Certain types of
bugs are fixed, but by and large, you're stuck with the bugs it was
released with...

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/