Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

At the beginning of my comments, there has been a statement from Rudy: "We have no easy-way-to-get-it to tell people why they would want to use Debian. Ubuntu, on the other hand, has achieved to do so, and what they tell that we can't? nothing." and as his message continues (25.08.2006 00:51)

I have objected, that if viewed from angle of average-Joe-user, Debian lacks many things to compare with Ubuntu.

That's why I'm speaking entirely about the official Debian release, the Debian 3.1 Sarge. Besides, ordinary user, or enterprise, would not choose some "testing" distribution, and Etch is for the moment not intended for daily work; it is still in beta state and therefore intended only for testers that don't mind losing their data or so.

Whoever wants to use computer, not do hacking and testing, will reach for "stable" system. Comparing latest *stable* release of Debian with latest *stable* release of Ubuntu is therefore appropriate, like it or not. It's not fault of Ubuntu if the results are not too attractive for Sarge (note: Sarge! I don't compare Woody.) If Etch was claimed stable at the time, I would compare him, however he has some half year to go from now.

Peter