Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 10:37:58PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> On Sun August 27 2006 06:47, Sander Marechal wrote:
> > * Desktop - basic: Simple minimal GNOME installation pretty much as
> > it is now, maybe with even less software preinstalled. (I was
> > surprised by the ammount of software that came along with it).
> >
> > * Desktop - stand alone: End-user desktop enviroment where we can
> > safely add fancy integration tricks and extra components that Ubuntu
> > does as well.
>
> If by "we" you mean Debian... great success in that endeavour would
> essentially put Ubuntu out of business, I don't think that is what
> either wants.

I don't care one way or another if it puts Ubuntu out of business (or
Canonical, as it were), but I want Debian to provide a top-notch desktop
experience for Debian's sake.

Deferring to Ubuntu for this work is the worst sort of defeatist nonsense
and I will not to bow to it. I like collaborating with the Ubuntu people,
but I refuse to compromise my own work or Debian as a project just so that
they can excel.

 - David Nusinow