Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Hendrik Sattler wrote:
>>> - something useful like ifplugd was not installed and the user was
>>> puzzled by the fact that plugging in the network cable did not
>>> result in network access
>> I agree that it would be nice if ifplugd or laptop-net were installed
>> by default, but last I checked Debian didn't install either by
>> default, either.  So what's your point?
>
> It's all about expectations. Always keep in mind that the target group differs
> a lot between Ubuntu and Debian.

I wouldn't say they differ. Ubuntu targets only a small subset of Debian
users. Maybe Debian should simply split the Desktop task in tasksel into
two entries:

* Desktop - basic: Simple minimal GNOME installation pretty much as it
is now, maybe with even less software preinstalled. (I was surprised by
the ammount of software that came along with it).

* Desktop - stand alone: End-user desktop enviroment where we can safely
add fancy integration tricks and extra components that Ubuntu does as well.

Just my $0.02

--
Sander Marechal
http://www.gnome-hearts.org/