Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 04:02:04PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Samstag 26 August 2006 15:15 schrieb Theodore Tso:
> > No support for: (The * are critical)
> >
> > 	* SATA Hard Drives (*)
> > 	* Intel AD1981 HD Audio (*)
>
> This stuff did not even exist when Sarge was released. Half of
> userland would not fit this hardware, so who cares.

Umm, the people owning this laptop who choose Ubuntu instead of Debian
care.

> - installer did not read in the CDs for package lists and the GUI does not
> even support this (or for any other means of modifying /etc/apt/sources.list)

>From the menubar.  System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager

Wait for the package manager to come up, click on Settings --> Respositories

There is an "Add CDROM" button, and you just click on it.

(No need to run vi, or emacs, or need to understand the
/etc/apt/sources.list format.)   Seems pretty user-friendly to me.

> - /etc/resolv.conf was not present but DHCP client complained about that

Hmm, I didn't notice this problem.  When the dhcp client started
during the install process, it created the /etc/resolv.conf file for
me, and subsequent dhcp clients updated the /etc/resolv.conf file
information automatically from the DHCP serve.

> - the "root has no password and you must use sudo" sucks for many things as
> the access to root is not consistent (some invocation type can use su
> programs but those cannot work).

That's a philosophical dispute, but it's easily fixed simply by
setting a root password if you really want to use a root shell.  (Or
by just doing sudo bash, of course.)  I happen to like having a root
user with a password and to su to root, so I set up my system that
way.  However, I view that as an emacs vs. vi sort of religious
dispute.

> - X ran with the wrong resolution (typical i915 problem) and with the wrong
> dpi setting

Can't speak to that; my ATI Firegl video worked automatically out of
the box --- with 3D accelerated graphics automatically.

> - /etc/network/interfaces listed non-existant devices and because of WPA, a
> manual setup of this file is needed

I didn't notice that problem.

> - something useful like ifplugd was not installed and the user was
> puzzled by the fact that plugging in the network cable did not
> result in network access

I agree that it would be nice if ifplugd or laptop-net were installed
by default, but last I checked Debian didn't install either by
default, either.  So what's your point?

						- Ted