Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 11:42:56PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:56:21AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > This sort of vague anecdotal "evidence" has been repeated over and over.
> > It may be true, but as far as I know, nobody has yet to come forth with
> > reporting specific problems in Debian, only "x worked out of the box in
> > ubuntu but not in Debian."
>
> OK, I have a brand-spanking new IBM/Lenovo T60p laptop with nice, fast
> SATA Drives, Intel Dual Core CPU's; 1600x1200 display --- sexy
> machine.  Debian stable doesn't run on it.  Ubuntu 6.06 LTS installed

Out of curiousity, why not?

[ snip ]

> My brand-spanking new home file server with a a real hardware RAID
> controller (Areca) and 16 hot-swap SATA drives (6 of them currently
> populated with 500 GB SATA II drives), with two dual-core Xeon chips
> is running Ubuntu Breezy 6.06 LTS, because Ubuntu supported it out of
> the box.  Debian stable doesn't even have a chance of supporting this

[ snip ]

> How many more concrete example would you like?

That's fine, thanks ;-)

BTW, I wrote DFS[1] for just such a similar situation, so I could
easily build myself a CD suitable for installation with whatever
kernel and tools I wanted.  I originally used it for a server that was
to use LVM and a hardware RAID controller, back in the days before
stable's installer supported either LVM or that particular controller.

It sounds, though, that your problem could be solved if we revved the
kernel in stable (and the installer) more often.  See my message on
-project about that.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs