Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:16:53AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > OK, I have a brand-spanking new IBM/Lenovo T60p laptop with nice, fast
> > SATA Drives, Intel Dual Core CPU's; 1600x1200 display --- sexy
> > machine.  Debian stable doesn't run on it.  Ubuntu 6.06 LTS installed
>
> Out of curiousity, why not?

No support for: (The * are critical)

	* SATA Hard Drives (*)
	* IPW3945 wireless (*)
	* Intel AD1981 HD Audio (*)
	* 3D Graphics support on the ATI FireGL V5200 card
		(propietary kernel module)
	* Verizon 1xEV-DO

Pretty much all of the modern hardware on the T60 is completely
unsupported by Debian; and most of the above is supported out of the
box by Unbuntu.

> It sounds, though, that your problem could be solved if we revved the
> kernel in stable (and the installer) more often.  See my message on
> -project about that.

A lot of the problems would be solved with that, yes.  Depending on
backports so you don't have to depend on antique versions of
OpenOffice, firefox, etc.  Maybe the answer is getting modern kernels
and modern installers should be adopted by backports.org.

Or maybe backports should be considered a 1st class part of Debian; so
in addition to old-stable, stable, testing, and unstable, we could
add, "stable-useful".  The fact of the matter is that the stable
distribution today is pretty much useless for desktop users, and
useless for people who need to install on modern servers (i.e.,
anything sold in the last 6 months).

But yet, we claim that our highest goals in our social contract is to
serve "our users".  Sure..... and anything that stable isn't useful
for are simply not our users, but they become Ubuntu's users or
Fedora's users instead.

						- Ted