Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Am Samstag 26 August 2006 15:15 schrieb Theodore Tso:
> No support for: (The * are critical)
>
> 	* SATA Hard Drives (*)
> 	* Intel AD1981 HD Audio (*)

This stuff did not even exist when Sarge was released. Half of userland would
not fit this hardware, so who cares.

> 	* IPW3945 wireless (*)
> 	* 3D Graphics support on the ATI FireGL V5200 card
> 		(propietary kernel module)

And this non-free stuff is nothing to discuss about.

Additionally, Ubuntu is not more usable for wireless networks than Debian: the
network configuration only support the useless WEP, no WPA.
Some things in Ubuntu are so broken that it's hard to believe. I
just "repaired" the laptop of a friend with Ubuntu 6.06:
- installer did not read in the CDs for package lists and the GUI does not
even support this (or for any other means of modifying /etc/apt/sources.list)
- /etc/resolv.conf was not present but DHCP client complained about that
- the "root has no password and you must use sudo" sucks for many things as
the access to root is not consistent (some invocation type can use su
programs but those cannot work).
Additonal problems included:
- X ran with the wrong resolution (typical i915 problem) and with the wrong
dpi setting
- /etc/network/interfaces listed non-existant devices and because of WPA, a
manual setup of this file is needed
- something useful like ifplugd was not installed and the user was puzzled by
the fact that plugging in the network cable did not result in network access

Just too much stuff for the Ubuntu target group. I did not dig deeper after
that.
Debian doesn't tell you about happy sunshine but neither does Ubuntu keep up
its promises.

> Maybe the answer is getting modern kernels
> and modern installers should be adopted by backports.org.

That will not be enough, newer kernels require newer userland stuff.
If you do all that (kernel, apps, X, etc.) with backports, you can as well use
Debian testing.

> The fact of the matter is that the stable
> distribution today is pretty much useless for desktop users, and
> useless for people who need to install on modern servers (i.e.,
> anything sold in the last 6 months).

I agree that stable revisions could be a bit more than what they are now
(mainly updated kernels for the installer).

HS