Re: Time to rethink ifupdown

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:05:31 +0700, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

This means you're suggesting a whole new aspect of functionality
to be  introduced to udev, because udev is currently, AFAIK, only
for creating  device nodes under /dev/.

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

I don't have that (in etch). But I've got the idea.

As for me, I would personally prefer starting a new project like
netconf  in C or some other imperative language rather than
contributing to  ifupdown -- I'm not very good with the concept of
literal programming. I  believe that a good, solid programming
style allows to express an  algorithm better than paragraphs of
prose. (That's just my personal  opinion.)

I want to use Python for netconf and possibly later port it to C++.
Definitely *not* C.

But that's me, and the above is just talk. If you disagree, use C.

No, I just used C as an example. I'm fine with any language as long as you can write something like "while (condition) action" in it without too much thinking about how this simple thing is done in this language. Python is just OK.

--
Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>