Packaging software which does not use autotools

Hi list,

I have some questions I hope some of you have an answer for.

I intend to package a peace of software which does not use autotools but only has a plain Makefile.

1) Can I use dh_make?
2) Does Debian policy have something to say about it?
3) Would it be ok if I converted it to use autotools my self?
4) The project seems to be abandoned by the developers - I have send more than one email with no response. Would it be in conflict with the Debian Policy if a adopt the software - it has been released under GPL so I guess it would be ok to do a fork?

BTW. The application in question is this: http://tptest.sourceforge.net/

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen