Re: Packaging software which does not use autotools

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:50:51 +0200, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> I intend to package a peace of software which does not use autotools
> but only has a plain Makefile.
>
> 1) Can I use dh_make?

Sure, just customise the rules file it generates to not call a configure
script. The rules file can really contain anything you want, as long as it
builds a decent package when called. :)

> 2) Does Debian policy have something to say about it?

Nope, I think mandating the build system that upstream uses is beyond its
scope. Unless upstream uses something non-free or something. :)

> 3) Would it be ok if I converted it to use autotools my self?

If you think it's worth the effort you can do, but you don't have to.

> 4) The project seems to be abandoned by the developers - I have send
> more than one email with no response. Would it be in conflict with the
> Debian Policy if a adopt the software - it has been released under GPL
> so I guess it would be ok to do a fork?

No problems policy or legal-wise; you just have to consider how
supportable the software is. If it gets into the next Debian release and
has a security flaw discovered in it, can you help fix the bug?

Basically you don't want to end up in the situation that the mozilla-*
or php4 packagers are presently in, where there are serious security
problems in the package but no support from upstream for the old versions
of the package. Whether it's supportable depends on the size/complexity of
the software and your familiarity with it.

To answer your question 5, if you think other users might find the
software useful then go for it! :)

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078