Re: Packaging software which does not use autotools

Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have some questions I hope some of you have an answer for.
>
> I intend to package a peace of software which does not use autotools
> but only has a plain Makefile.
>
> 1) Can I use dh_make?
> 2) Does Debian policy have something to say about it?
No.

> 3) Would it be ok if I converted it to use autotools my self?

Since you're adopting upstream, certainly.

Personally, I tend to convert projects to autoconf but not automake.  This
usually cleans up the code but leaves simple Makefiles as simple Makefiles.

> 4) The project seems to be abandoned by the developers - I have send
> more than one email with no response. Would it be in conflict with the
> Debian Policy if a adopt the software - it has been released under GPL
> so I guess it would be ok to do a fork?

Of course it would be OK!  Yeah, this is one of the great things about free
software.  In a certain sense, you're adopting upstream.

If you want to be really polite in case upstream comes back, change the
application name.  If you want to be less polite, just make it very clear
that yours is a forked version.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...