Re: Packaging software which does not use autotools

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 09:50:51PM +0200, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have some questions I hope some of you have an answer for.
>
> I intend to package a peace of software which does not use autotools
> but only has a plain Makefile.
>
> 1) Can I use dh_make?

Sure.

> 2) Does Debian policy have something to say about it?

Nothing special, no.

> 3) Would it be ok if I converted it to use autotools my self?

If you think the upstream build system is broken. In general, it's not a
very good idea though, since that means you are forking from upstream,
which makes upgrading to new upstream versions hard for you...

> 4) The project seems to be abandoned by the developers - I have send
> more than one email with no response.

... but then, that would not appear to be a problem ;-)

> Would it be in conflict with the  Debian Policy if a adopt the
> software - it has been released under GPL  so I guess it would be ok
> to do a fork?

No, there's no problem at all.

--
Fun will now commence