Re: package ownership in Debian

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:38:52 -0300, Gustavo Franco
<gustavorfranco@gmail.com> said:

> * Promote NMU LowThreshold wiki list giving it some official status.

        What does this mean?

> For existing packages:

> * The package that contains only the Maintainer field with the name
>   of a person and not a group can be uploaded by any DD. ping the
>   current maintainer is good but not required;

> * If the package contains a group in the Maintainer field and/or a
>   group of people in the Maintainer field or Uploaders. It's
>   required that the uploader ping the group and coordinate his
>   upload.

        Why the disrtinction? If the maintainer is active, and is
 currently working on the package, you have just made matters worse by
 not pinging.  If the team is negligent, why should it be treated
 differently?

> I think with something similar to what i wrote above we will end up
> with almost all the packages maintained by groups and some packages
> maintained by Debian as a whole and not individuals.  The next step
> would be groups allowing other groups to upload some of "their"
> packages.

        I am mostly unconvinced that this would improve the quality of
  distribution.

> The core stuff will be more flexible and well maintained, if we
> don't have groups where just one person do all the work and others
> are there just to look cool.

        Why do you think that is not likely to happen?  My experience
 leads to to think that your view point is akin to the island called
 Utopia.

        manoj
--
Nostalgia is living life in the past lane.