Re: Regarding the NEW queue (Was: Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?)

On 2006-03-13, Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> wrote:

> Nobody mailed ftpmaster@ about the size of the NEW queue. -devel isn't
> a contact address for ftp-master, at least speaking for myself,
> mailinglists have a much lower priority than things like ftpmaster mail,
> and when backlogged with mail, I tend to skip parts too, if it's too
> high-traffic at times.
>
>> Is there a reason why the question should be made in private?
>
> It seems as if only problems and annoyances end up on mailinglists, and
> *not* to ftpmaster@. The don't specifically need to be made private, but
> I don't think it'd be too much to ask for questions to ftpmaster to be
> mailed to the our published contact address? How would you feel if
> people complained about lacking piuparts updates on -devel, stating it's
> unaccepteable and the maintainer should've been recruiting a
> co-maintainer, without that person ever having contacted you?
>
> That's, roughly, what happens with ftp-master often. We do our best to
> answer all inquiries, but are not perfect. However, of those issues
> coming to some mailinglist, more often than not there's not even an
> attempt to mail ftp-master first, or at all. It's a kind of
> self-reenforcing loop if people don't think mailing helps, but then not
> even try, and mail -devel instead, making people think even more that
> mailing ftpmaster@ is futile.
>
> I agree transparency and openness are good things. I just disagree with
> the implication that mailing -devel _instead_ of ftpmaster@ is a
> good way to address an issue with ftpmaster.

In the interests of transparancy, openness, keeping people from
emailing debian-devel instead of ftpmaster@... why not make the
published contact address for ftpmaster be a publically viewable
archive? It doesn't have to be a list that everyone can subscribe to
and give their individual nit-pick comments about everything that is
sent there, just make the email viewable.

Some people email -devel because they think maybe their email to
ftpmaster@ was never received, if they can verify it has been by
themselves, this would be a good thing. My guess is that people dont
think that mailing ftpmaster@ helps because it feels like a blackhole.
If the darkness was illuminated then people could see that ftpmaster@
does try really hard to respond to things, and that your message that
you sent there did arrive...

Perhaps there is a concern about privacy for some reason, but I am
sure issues involving privacy can be handled with care outside of a
public archived list.

Micah